Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a Malay curry and it is really good as it can be frozen.
Make and share this Beef Kurmah (Curried Beef) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 kg stewing beef (chuck)
- 8 spring onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh lemongrass (only white part)
- 500 ml coconut milk
- 1 small red chile, chopped
- 60 g ground almonds
- Heat half the oil in a pan add steak in batches and brown all over, remove from pan.
- Heat remaining oil in the same pan add spring onions, garlic and ginger and cook until spring onions are soft.
- Add the coriander, cumin, star anise, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and lemon grass cooking and stirring for about 3 minutes.
- Return the meat to the pan add coconut milk and chili and simmer covered for about 1 to 1/2 hours until meat is tender.
- Add the nuts and stir until heated through.
- Discard cinnamon, cardamom before serving.
This tasted pretty close to the real thing (we live in Singapore). I used dried (flakes) coriander instead of ground. I simmered the beef for about 2 hrs, and discarded afterwards the cinnamon and star anise, but not the cardamom. My only suggestions are that you add a bit of sea salt or fine salt to enhance the taste, reduce the powdered almonds to 30g because the sauce becomes a bit too thick, and you can use chili flakes instead of the red chili.
Excellent curry; I usually like my curries pretty spicy but the unusual flavor combinations and richness made up for it. Only addition was about a tsp, of salt. Awesome recipe-thank you!
DH says this is a "real keeper". 2 pounds of stewing beef made barely enough for 4 of us, served with basmati rice and salad. I also cut the beef cubes smaller, as suggested, which was a good idea. And DH did add salt. So everyone's suggestions were useful. It is really quite easy to put together and I let it simmer about 2 hours. Yum!