1/1 Photo of Beef Korma
1 hr 20 mins
I bought myself a "hot and spicy" cookbook when I was a teenager and first learning to cook, and this was one of the recipes in it. I didn't try it for a while because I was intimidated by what looked to me like a long list of ingredients, but when I did finally try it, I was so glad I did!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seed (without pods)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 whole cloves
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup blanched slivered almond
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped gingerroot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 lbs beef stew meat or 2 lbs lamb stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons freshly snipped cilantro or 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1In a blender, combine coriander seed, cumin seed, cardamom seed, crushed red pepper, and whole cloves.
- 2Grind the spices to a fine powder (this is the point you want to adjust the heat of the dish by decreasing the red pepper, if desired).
- 3Add 1/3 cup water, almonds, garlic cloves, coarsely chopped gingerroot, salt, and ground cinnamon.
- 4Blend until the mixture has a paste consistency.
- 5In a 5-quart Dutch oven or other large pot, brown half the meat on all sides in 1 tablespoon of hot oil; remove.
- 6Repeat with remaining meat in batches, adding more oil as needed; remove.
- 7Heat 2 tablespoons oil in the Dutch oven and add onions.
- 8Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until onions begin to brown.
- 9Reduce heat to medium.
- 10Add blended spice mixture; cook and stir 3 to 4 minutes more, or until browned.
- 11Add meat and 1/2 cup water to the Dutch oven.
- 12Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours or until the meat is tender (cook time may vary according to the toughness of the meat you use, but 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours is generally enough time).
- 13Stir occasionally and test meat's tenderness.
- 14Stir together whipping cream, yogurt, flour, and garam masala in a bowl.
- 15Stir mixture into Dutch oven; cook until thickened and bubbly.
- 16Cook and stir two minutes more.
- 17Transfer to a serving bowl; sprinkle with snipped cilantro or parsley and serve over basmati rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Korma
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 590.9
- Calories from Fat 413
- Total Fat 45.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.9 g
- Cholesterol 150.6 mg
- Sodium 529.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 33.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: