Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Yummy Greek inspired meal, its lean too. From Canadian Living and Weetabix Cooking CD.
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh parsley leaves
- 3 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried mint
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mild paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 4 whole wheat pita bread
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In food processor, puree together parsley leaves, green onions, half of the mint, the cumin, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to large bowl; beat in egg.
- Add beef and 2 tbsp water; mix well.
- Shape by heaping 2 tbsp into small sausages.
- Thread each lengthwise onto metal or soaked wooden skewer.
- Place skewers on greased grill over medium heat or under broiler; close lid and grill, turning once, until no longer pink inside and digital rapid-read thermometer inserted into several koftas reads 160F, about 12 minutes on grill, 7 minutes under broiler.
- Meanwhile, grill or broil pita breads, turning once, until crisp, about 4 minutes; cut into quarters.
- Combine yogurt with remaining mint and minced parsley.
- Serve koftas with pita quarters and yogurt.