Recipe by Tasi
I'm posting this recipe for someone I met at a softball game. When she learned that I am Chamoru and from Guam she told me that she loves Finadene and Beef Kelaguen. I couldn't recall my recipe at the time so I promised to post it here. Beef Kelaguen is a Chamoru delicacy made with raw beef and chemically cooked or cured with citric acid. It is usually served as a chaser with beer or eaten with Chamoru Red Rice. Back home we like this SPICY, but just omit the pepper to make it more friendly for those can't take the heat ;). All measurements are approximate and can be adjusted to taste, tangier or saltier, it's all up to you...Enjoy :)
- 1 lb extra lean beef
- 1 cup lemon juice (fresh squeezed is best)
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped or sliced onion
- 2 teaspoons korean red pepper flakes or 2 teaspoons chopped fresh Thai peppers
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim beef of all fat and slice into thin strips.
- Press out as much blood from the beef as possible. Placing the beef in a colander over a bowl makes this easier to accomplish.
- Place all ingredients in bowl and mix well. Cover bowl tightly and let sit at room temperature for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve chilled as a chaser or with rice.