Recipe by Jane Gib
Meat and potatoes -- just "different." I love this dish so much. I haven't made it in ages but now that I'm posting it I think I'll have to make it again soon. So delicious!
Top Review by sugarpea
I loved this dish, too. Creamy, slightly tangy, spicy (but not overly so) and rich-yum. Very easy to put together and both prep and cooking times were accurate. Definitely not boring meat and potatoes.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 lb potato, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup plain yogurt or 1 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup frozen peas
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- In large deep frying pan, heat oil over moderate heat.
- Add onion and cook about 3 minutes.
- Sitre in garlic and ginger and cook 1 more minute.
- Add beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Drain fat (if desired).
- Add coriander, cumin, pepper, turmeric, cinnamon and 1 tsp of the salt.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Stir in potatoes, yogurt/sour cream and milk.
- Bring to barely a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer 5 minutes more.
- Stir in frozen peas and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Simmer about 2 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and cilantro.