Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 hrs
Easy enough - and no added yucky stuff. Based on a recipe from primalpalate.com
- 3 lbs flank steaks, lean lean lean
- 3 garlic cloves, minced fine
- 1 cup coconut aminos, it's a Paleo alternative to Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- Partially freeze the meat - 2 to 4 hours, so that you can slice it super thin. When it's all nice and frosty, slice your hunk o' meat into nice thin strips - and remove all the fat. I didn't do that the first time and the results were gross! The fat doesn't dry out, it just gets kind of squidgy and gelatinous. Bleck!
- Place the coconut aminos and all other remaining ingredients in a large zip-lock bag. Add in the meat. Shake and smoosh to completely soak the meat. Place the bag in the fridge and marinate for 2-24 hours - longer is better.
- Place the marinated meat in your handy-dandy dehydrator. If you don't have one, you can use your oven set at about 170ºF, 80ºC. Dry the meat strips for as long as it takes - usually about 12 -18 hours.