Recipe by Montana Heart Song
This is a very old recipe calling for 1 lb dried beef and dried tomatoes. Takes hours for dried beef to soften, so I have updated to jerky and fresh tomatoes. Enjoy!
- 6 -8 sticks of dried smoked beef jerky
- 1 quart boiling water
- 1 tablespoon lard or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup rice
- 3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 whole dried chili
- 1 green sweet pepper, cored seeded and diced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In stockpot add boiling water and jerky.
- Let set 15 minutes. Take out of water and cut in small pieces. Return to pot.Heat on low setting.
- In frying pan, add lard or oil, add rice and onions and salt. Brown the rice and cook the onion until slightly browned. Add tomatoes and chili pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes. Add all ingredients to stockpot.
- Simmer about 15 minutes until rice is cooked. Take out whole chili pepper before serving. There should be enough salt in the jerky so you do not need to add except for the 1/2 tsp of salt called for in the recipe. Serve with tortilla chips.