Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- Select a 1/2 inch thick flank or top round steak. Trim away all fat then partially freeze until firm.
- Slice across the grain into 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide strips.
- Place meat strips in a shallow dish or heavy plastic bag.
- Add soy or teriyaki sauce to cover meat.
- If desired, onion or garlic powder or Worcestershire sauce may be added.
- Toss to coat each piece.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or over night.
- Lift meat from marinade, drain will then air dry for a couple of hours.
- Arrange meat strips in single layer on fine wire screen or cake cooling rack.
- Place in low temperature oven (175 to 200 degrees) or slowly smoke-cook in smoker until meat is completely dried.
- Store in air-tight container.
- Serve as a snack or appetizer.
I made this today but I added about 4 Tbsp of Molasses. I used 2 Flank steaks cut very thin and 2 bottles of teriyaki sauce then added about half cup each of soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and just the garlic powder since I was out of onion powder. So it will be Teriyaki sweet due to the molasses I think.
This is such a easy recipe. I didn't know how easy it was to make jerky. I cut the flank across grain for tender jerky. I just covered the bottom rack in the oven with foil and after I patted off some of the marinade placed the meat on across the top oven rack. I used liquid smoke with the spices.