Prep 2 hrs 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another recipe from my new cookbook "the Gluten-free Kitchen" from Sue Shepherd. Posting this as a tasty beef recipe that is gluten-free without the need to buy expensive bottled ready prepared marinade and tasty for everyone to enjoy . Gluten/wheat eaters- of course you can use your favourite stock powder. Cooking time incudes 2 hours marinade time and ten minutes cooking time for the steaks.
- 6 porterhouse steaks (150 grams each) or 6 scotch steak fillets
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free beef stock powder (Aussies- Massell brand is currently gluten-free)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place the steaks in a single layer in a naking dish or dish large enough to fit the steaks in a single layer.
- In a bowl, combine all of the marinade ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the marinade over the steaks and ensure each steak is evenly coated.
- Cover the steaks and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight.
- Heat a bbq or chargrill pan to high.
- Drain the steaks and discard the excess marinade.
- Grill the steaks until done to your liking.
Beautiful! I used shiraz and and combined with the beef stock powder (I used regular) it gave a great robust but not too strong flavour. It also had a nice amount of oil to stop it sticking on the BBQ without detracting from the taste or causing it to flare up.
Made this for DH's Father's Day dinner and he was in heaven. I love the simple ingredients and the flavors that come from them is great! I havr added wines to steak or beef before but hae not cut it with water. I did not have gf beef powder but frozen beef cubes (my own) that I warmed up and added in, thus cutting the water by 1/2. Very nicw flavors all around. Thank you. Made for Aus/NZ Swap 41
So simple but with a great flavour....I think it is the stock powder that gives it that extra. Made this for a BBQ for friends who went home with the recipe. A keeper for us.:) Made for Aus/NZ swap December 2009