Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Excellent recipe! Found it years ago browsing through recipe books at the local library. You know it's good when guests ask for the recipe. Mushrooms were my own addition. You could probably add carrots, potatos, or whatever else you want. Make it into a stew? It's a keeper
- 3 lbs lean stewing beef
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (14 ounce) can condensed French onion soup
- whole mushroom, to taste (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all ingredients (except mushrooms and brandy) in a 3 quart csserole.
- Cover tightly.
- Bake for 3 hours and 30 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms and brandy.
- Cover again and bake 30 minutes longer.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
I made this tonight and since I didn't have 3 hrs, I put it in a cooking bag for 1 1/2 hrs and then added the mushrooms. I didn't have any brandy and it still came out wonderful!(Will have to try it with the brandy though!) I used top sirlion instead of the stew beef and it was so tender! Served it over rice with buttered corn and my husband ate all of it (so I don't have any for leftovers tomorrow!) Delicious!!!!