Recipe by mersaydees
This roast is based on a recipe from The Encyclopedia of Creative Cooking, edited by Charlotte Turgeon. Allow time for the beef to marinate 12 to 24 hours. Tip: I find it easy to peel tomatoes by filling a small deep saucepan with water, bring to a boil, remove from heat, and plunging a tomato held up with a fork into the water, slow-counting to ten; the skin comes off easily without cooking the tomato.
Top Review by diner524
Delicious roast beef!!! I used a 2 lb sirloin tip roast. I followed the ingredients but once I marinaded the beef and strained it, I added those onions in with the beef after it was browned along with some of the marinade. When it came time for the vegetables, I then also used the carrots from the strained marinade, but otherwise followed as written and it came out perfect!!! I served it for a Sunday dinner along with mashed potatoes, gravy from the roast, corn and homemade crescent rolls, yummo!!! Thanks mersaydees for sharing the recipe!!! Made for ZWT 5.
- 1360.77-1814.36 g boneless beef roast (rump, sirloin tip, or round)
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 709.77 ml red wine
- 236.59 ml water
- 118.29 ml onion, sliced
- 118.29 ml carrot, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 10 small white onions, peeled
- 8 carrots, peeled, shaped like small balls
- 2 sprig fresh parsley, for garnish
- 29.58 ml flour
- 29.58 ml butter
- 44.37 ml madeira wine
- 29.58 ml cognac
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 9.85 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 4.92 ml thyme
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 2 slice lean bacon, cubed
- 28.34 g brandy, warmed
- 1 veal knuckle or 1 beef knuckle
- 1 tomatoes, peeled, quartered
- 14.79 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 236.59 ml beef bouillon
- 2.46 ml salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub salt and pepper over beef.
- Mix together all marinade ingredients in glass or ceramic bowl large enough to accommodate the beef. Add the beef and coat on all sides with the marinade, cover, and refrigerate 12 to 24 hours, turning the beef occasionally.
- Remove beef from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Strain and reserve marinade.
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven.
- Add bacon; cook until transparent.
- Add beef and brown on all sides.
- Drain off fat.
- Pour warm brandy over beef and ignite; allow flames to die down.
- Add remaining braising ingredients; cover pan.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven for 3 hours, occasionally basting with reserved marinade.
- While meat is roasting, prepare vegetables.
- During the last hour of braising, add onions and carrots to Dutch oven.
- When meat and vegetables are tender, remove from oven and place on preheated platter.
- Surround with onions and carrots. Garnish with parsley and keep warm.
- Strain sauce through a sieve, skimming off any fat.
- Make a medium to dark roux with the flour and butter.
- Thicken pan sauce with all or part of the roux.
- Stir and heat to boiling 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add Madeira and cognac. Adjust seasonings.
- Spoon some sauce over meat; serve remaining sauce on the side.