1/3 Photos of Beef in Red Wine
This roast is based on a recipe from The Encyclopedia of Creative Cooking, edited by Charlotte Turgeon. Allow time for the beef to marinate 12 to 24 hours. Tip: I find it easy to peel tomatoes by filling a small deep saucepan with water, bring to a boil, remove from heat, and plunging a tomato held up with a fork into the water, slow-counting to ten; the skin comes off easily without cooking the tomato.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 lbs boneless beef roast (rump, sirloin tip, or round)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 10 small white onions, peeled
- 8 carrots, peeled, shaped like small balls
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons madeira wine
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1Rub salt and pepper over beef.
- 2Mix together all marinade ingredients in glass or ceramic bowl large enough to accommodate the beef. Add the beef and coat on all sides with the marinade, cover, and refrigerate 12 to 24 hours, turning the beef occasionally.
- 3Remove beef from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Strain and reserve marinade.
- 4Heat oil in large Dutch oven.
- 5Add bacon; cook until transparent.
- 6Add beef and brown on all sides.
- 7Drain off fat.
- 8Pour warm brandy over beef and ignite; allow flames to die down.
- 9Add remaining braising ingredients; cover pan.
- 10Bake in 350 degree F oven for 3 hours, occasionally basting with reserved marinade.
- 11While meat is roasting, prepare vegetables.
- 12During the last hour of braising, add onions and carrots to Dutch oven.
- 13When meat and vegetables are tender, remove from oven and place on preheated platter.
- 14Surround with onions and carrots. Garnish with parsley and keep warm.
- 15Strain sauce through a sieve, skimming off any fat.
- 16Make a medium to dark roux with the flour and butter.
- 17Thicken pan sauce with all or part of the roux.
- 18Stir and heat to boiling 1 to 2 minutes.
- 19Add Madeira and cognac. Adjust seasonings.
- 20Spoon some sauce over meat; serve remaining sauce on the side.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef in Red Wine
Serving Size: 1 (681 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 642.2
- Calories from Fat 199
- Total Fat 22.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 151.3 mg
- Sodium 918.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 53.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: