Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got this recipe from an authentic Irish cookbook. It has a definite Guinness flavor. It is a St. Patrick's day favorite at my house.
- 2 -3 lbs stew meat
- seasoned flour
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, whole
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh herb (your choice)
- salt and pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 2 (12 ounce) bottlesof guinness beer
- Dip stew beef in seasoned flour. Fry seasoned beef in hot oil. Fry and brown onions and garlic.
- Place beef, onions, garlic & carrots in a stock pot. Add herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Cover beef with stock. Bring to a boil, cover and cook over a low heat for 1 1/2 hours. Then add Guinness, bring to a boil and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon remove meat from the sauce and place it in a large casserole or serving dish. Reduce the sauce to half the quantity over high heat. Once sauce is reduced pour over beef and serve.