Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a great do ahead dish! I serve this with buttered noodles, a salad and some crusty rolls. Trust me....this is delicious. You won't have any leftovers.
- 4 lbs boneless pot roast (sirloin tip, chuck, rump, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons Crisco shortening
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
cream sauce for meat
- 1⁄2 cup butter (do not substitute)
- 2 cups whipping cream (not whipped) or 2 cups heavy cream (not whipped)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In dutch oven slowly brown meat on all sides in hot shortening.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add water; cover and simmer (not boil) for about 3 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Remove meat from dutch oven and allow to stand 20 minutes, then slice thinly.
- Save pan juices for another use.
- Cream Sauce: Heat butter in saucepan until it bubbles and browns very slightly.
- Add cream, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat about 3 minutes.
- Spoon half of the sauce in a glass, heat proof 9x12 cake pan or casserole dish.
- Arrange meat slices, overlapping in the sauce.
- Pour remaining sauce over the top.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- I usually make this the day before and refrigerate to allow all of the flavors to blend with the meat.
- When ready to prepare, allow dish to set out for about 30 minutes while oven is heating to 350°F It usually takes 20-35 minutes to heat through.
This was really good, and I was skeptical about this cream sauce. It was so awesome though! I think it would be good on seafood as well, it is just very rich! Not for the calorie conscious! Thanks so much for sharing!