Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Awesome football dish!
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2 in cubes
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 (12 ounce) bottles dark beer
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 5 parsley sprigs
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 small red potatoes, halved
- 1 (12 ounce) baby carrots, trimmed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup water
- Heat oil in large dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Add 1/4 of the beef cook turning frequently on all sides. Remove to plate. Repeat until all beef browned(not cooked through!)
- Add onions and garlic to pan. Cook and stir over low heat until onions are soft and golden or 5-10 minutes. Add beef, beer, broth, parsley, bay leaves, vinegar, thyme, sugar, S&P to pan. Heat over medium to high heat to boiling. Then reduce heat. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until beef is tender, about 1 1/4hrs.
- Remove and discard parsley, bay leaves and surface fat. Add potatoes and carrots to pan; simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Add peas and mushrooms. Simmer uncovered, until potatoes and carrots are tender or about 10 minutes.
- Mix flour and water in small bowl until smooth. Gradually stir into stew.
- Cook and stir over medium low heat until thickened or about 3 minutes.
This is a very hearty stew and the beer really helped to tenderize the meat. The dish can easily be made in the slow cooker, as I did, and just add the vegetables toward the end of the cooking process. I did add additional salt and pepper to the dish and I used cornstarch as a thickener vs. the flour. Thanks for the post. Made this for PAC, 2011.