Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
From The Italian Slow Cooker
Make and share this Beef in Barolo recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck or 3 lbs boneless bottom round roast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine, such as Barolo
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes or 2 cups canned tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium celery rib, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- Combine the flour with salt and pepper to taste. Spread the mixture on a piece of wax paper and roll the meat in the flour.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef and brown it on all sides, about 15 minutes. Place the meat in a large slow cooker. Add the pancetta and onion to the skillet. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender. Stir in the garlic. Add the wine and bring it to a simmer, scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the mixture over the beef. Add the tomatoes and broth. Scatter the carrots, celery, bay leaf, and ground cloves around the meat. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or until the meat is tender when pierced with a fork.
- Transfer the meat to a platter. Remove the bay leaf from the sauce. Slice the meat and spoon on the sauce.