Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Make and share this Beef in Ale Stew With Dumplings recipe from Food.com.
- 500 g cubed braising steak
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 200 g carrots, peeled and chopped
- 200 g turnips, peeled and chopped
- 120 g button mushrooms, cleaned
- 400 g baby potatoes, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons plain flour, sieved
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
- 440 ml ale
- 300 ml boiled water
- 1 beef stock cube
For the Dumplings
- 125 g self raising flour, sieved
- 50 g suet
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 6 tablespoons water
- Heat the oil and on a high heat fry the braising steak, until it starts to brown and all sides sealed. Add all the vegetables and cook for 5 minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in 2 tbsp sieved floor. Return to heat and add the ale, tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and sugar.
- Mix the beef stock cube with 300ml boiling water add to the pan.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hours uncovered add more beef stock if required.
- Preheat oven 200°C /400°Fgas mark 6.
- For the dumplings.
- Mix 125g floor, suet, salt and parsley then add the water to form a dough, roll into 10 balls.
- Once cooked transfer the beef ale stew into an oven proof dish and place the dumplings on top cook for 20 mins untill the dumplings are golden brown.