1/1 Photo of Beef in Ale Stew With Dumplings
2 hrs 20 mins
Chef Marie #4's Note:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g cubed braising steak
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 200 g carrots, peeled and chopped
- 200 g turnips, peeled and chopped
- 120 g button mushrooms, cleaned
- 400 g baby potatoes, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons plain flour, sieved
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
- 440 ml ale
- 300 ml boiled water
- 1 beef stock cube
For the Dumplings
- 1Heat the oil and on a high heat fry the braising steak, until it starts to brown and all sides sealed. Add all the vegetables and cook for 5 minutes stirring constantly.
- 2Remove from heat and stir in 2 tbsp sieved floor. Return to heat and add the ale, tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and sugar.
- 3Mix the beef stock cube with 300ml boiling water add to the pan.
- 4Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hours uncovered add more beef stock if required.
- 5Preheat oven 200°C /400°Fgas mark 6.
- 6For the dumplings.
- 7Mix 125g floor, suet, salt and parsley then add the water to form a dough, roll into 10 balls.
- 8Once cooked transfer the beef ale stew into an oven proof dish and place the dumplings on top cook for 20 mins untill the dumplings are golden brown.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef in Ale Stew With Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (1189 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1089.6
- Calories from Fat 312
- Total Fat 34.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 74.8 mg
- Sodium 388.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 93.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 30.0 g