1/2 Photos of Beef Hot Pot With Herb Dumplings
2 hrs 45 mins
Got this from a magazine about 4 years ago but don't know which one. Beef Hot Pot can be made up to 2 days ahead, covered and kept in refridgerator. To finish cooking, reheat hot pot base until simmering, place Herb Dumplings on top and cook as directed. Recipe could be doubled and you could freeze half for later (follow suggestions for cooking ahead), continue cooking other half for that night. For a pot luck I've cooked it without the dumplings and transferred it to a slow cooker (crockpot) and taken it in that as I can plug in to keep warm.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
beef hot pot
- 30 g butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 onions (eshalots or baby onions peeled)
- 200 g mushrooms (sliced)
- 4 slices bacon (sliced)
- 800 g beef eye round (chuck steak trimmed and cubed)
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 cups beer
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (chopped)
- salt and pepper
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme (to garnish)
- 1HOT POT.
- 2Heat half the butter and oil in a large flameproof casserole dish, add onions (eshalots) and mushrooms, cook stirring until onions (eshalots) are golden brown. Remove from dish.
- 3Add bacon to dish, cook, stirring until browned all over. Remove and drain on absorbent paper.
- 4Heat remaining butter and oil in same dish, add beef in batches, stir until browned all over.
- 5Return beef to dish with flour. Stir in beer, stock and bay leaves, cook stirring until mixture thickens slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
- 6Cook in moderate oven (180 degree celsius) for 1 hour. Add mushrooms, eschalots, bacon and thyme. Cook covered for a further 30 minutes.
- 7Time to add Herb Dumplings - have step 9 ready and go to 10.
- 8HERB DUMPLINGS.
- 9Sift flour, salt and mustard in a bowl; rub in butter until mixture resembles coarse breadcrums (can do in a food processor). Stir in herbs, add egg yolk and enough milk to form a sticky dough.
- 10Drop tablespoons of Herb Dumpling mixture into Beef Hot Pot. Cook covered, for a further 30 minutes, or until dumplings are cooked through.
- 11Serve Hot Pot garnished with extra fresh thyme. Mashed potatoe and steamed vegetables to complete for hearty meal and crusty bread to mop up the gravy.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Hot Pot With Herb Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (759 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 808.3
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.1 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 209.8 mg
- Sodium 980.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 56.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: