Apparently the secret to a good hash brown is to keep breaking up the mixture and stirring the brown crispy bits into the centre of the pan. I love these with breakfast or minus the tomatoes and egg and use as a side to most dishes, traditionally this is made with salt or pickled beef but I have adapted this recipe to use minced beef!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 lb minced beef
- 4 slices rindless smoked streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 4 ripe tomatoes, peeled seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 lb potato, grated
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, and a little extra (for cooking)
- 4 -6 ripe tomatoes, cut in half
- 4 -6 eggs
- Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1Melt the butter in a small pan then transfer to a bowl and add the minced beef, bacon, tomatoes, onion, garlic, sherry vinegar, Dijon mustard and potatoes - season to taste then using your hands, mix well.
- 2Heat a frying pan, then add the olive oil then tip in the beef mixture and cook over a high heat for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 3Reduce the heat and cook for another 10 minutes until the potatoes are completely tender and the hash is crispy all over.
- 4Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan and a large frying pan, add a little olive oil to each one then add the tomatoes to the griddle cut side down for 6-8 minutes until lightly charred and heated through, turning once - remove from the pan and keep warm.
- 5Break the eggs into the frying pan and gently fry for a couple of minutes until they are just set.
- 6Season the cooked beef hash brown with the Worcestershire sauce then divide it into as many servings as required, arrange the char grilled tomatoes on the plate and finish each one with a fried egg to serve!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Hash Browns - Homemade
Serving Size: 1 (389 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 526.6
- Calories from Fat 347
- Total Fat 38.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 223.0 mg
- Sodium 265.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 23.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rindless smoked streaky bacon
sherry wine vinegar