Recipe by Ed&Theresa
This is a traditional dish for a picnic or a for outdoor Sunday buffet luncheon. (carne fiambre)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 ounces ham, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb raw shrimp, deveined chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups saltines, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup frozen baby peas, defrosted
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the ground beef, ham, shrimp, onion, garlic, salt & pepper, red pepper flakes through the finest blade of a meat grinder, or chop everything as fine as possible and combine in a bowl.
- Add the 2 eggs, one a time, mixing thoroughly.
- Coarsely crumble enough saltine crackers to make about 1 1/2 cups, then crush with a rolling pin.
- Mix the crackers, half a cup at a time, into the meat mixture with a wooden spoon, until the texture is smooth.
- It should not be sloppy, but firm enough to hold its shape.
- Next fold in the peas gently.
- Roll the meat mixture into 1 inch balls.
- Add the balls to a pan of water enough to cover the balls, sliced onion and a bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil.
- Then simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.