Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 1⁄3 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet
- Combine dry milk powder, flour, bouillon granules and thyme. Cut in butter or margarine and Kitchen Bouquet until pieces resemble cornmeal.
- Store in tightly covered container in refrigerator up to two months.
- Beef Gravy: In saucepan slowly blend 1 cup cold water into 1/2 cup beef gravy base. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Cook 1 minute more. Makes 1 cup.
I found this to be very salty and also too thick. I think it would be a better gravy with the use of NO SALT beef granules (as suggested by Chef #714366) and about 1/3 the flour. Thanks for sharing.
Well, I cannot believe I am the first to rate this because this is fantastic for a instant gravy. I had been looking for a recipe like this so I can control the salt amount. I love this! I use no salt butter and no salt beef granules, and no one in my family misses the salt. My DH loves it, especially with my wild rice meatloaf (a nice change from ketchup). I pull a already baked meatloaf out of the freezer the day before, slice it, prepare this gravy base, pour and warm it up, and a great dinner is ready. My dad couldn't believe it was a mix, and with no salt. Thank you so much for sharing, with HBP, I can still have gravy whenever I want. I will never be without it again.