Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Posted by Elise on another website. I was drawn to the light dumpling recipe straight from Prague, Czech Republic. The beef recipe was derived from a Wolfgang Puck TV food show. I tweaked the directions a tad. Can you say, " Bájený komfort potravin" - yummy comfort food. Ground beef or stew meat can be used.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed, toasted and ground
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika, sweet
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika, spicy
- 2 teaspoons marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chuck roast, cut into 2-inch cubes (remove excess fat)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a deep dutch oven, heat the olive oil and sauté the onions and sugar until caramelized. Add the garlic and ground toasted caraway seed. Cook another minute.
- Add the sweet and spicy paprika, marjoram, thyme and bay leaf. Sauté another minute, until fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste. Deglaze with the vinegar and the stock and add the pieces of beef, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer.
- Cover and cook until very tender, about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- To prepare the dumplings:.
- Sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt. Combine with the milk and melted butter, mixing lightly.
- After the stew has cooked until tender, the last 15 mins, drop the dumpling batter by (heaping) teaspoonfuls into the simmering stew.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes, then test the dumpling with a toothpick - if comes out clean, dumplings are ready.
- Once you have covered the pan, DO NOT UNCOVER while the dumplings are cooking! In order for them to be light and fluffy, they must steam. If you uncover the pan, the steam will escape and the dumplings will boil instead.
I slow cooked this for about 6 hours with some cheap beef off cuts. Simple and tasty using cheap ingredients. I had it with some steamed green beans. It is so good I'm making it for a dinner party next week.