2 hrs 40 mins
What better on a chilly day than a plate of steaming hot beef stew with light, fluffy dumplings? The combination is a knock-out. Rich, flavorful, spicy beef stew balanced with light dumplings. Credit, Simply Recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed, toasted and ground
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon spicy Hungarian paprika
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh marjoram
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leave
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 1/2 lbs chuck roast, cut into 2-inch cubes (remove excess fat)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1In a large covered sauté pan, heat the olive oil and sauté the onions and sugar until caramelized. Add the garlic and caraway seed. Cook another minute.
- 2Add the sweet and spicy paprika, marjoram, thyme and bay leaf. Sauté another minute, until fragrant.
- 3Add the tomato paste. Deglaze with the vinegar and the stock and add the pieces of beef, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Cover and cook until very tender, about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- 4To prepare the dumplings, sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt. Combine with the milk and melted butter, mixing lightly. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into the simmering stew. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Once you have covered the pan, do not uncover while the dumplings are cooking! In order for them to be light and fluffy, they must steam. If you uncover the pan, the steam will escape and the dumplings will boil instead. After 15 minutes, test the dumplings with a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, the dumplings are done.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Goulash With Dumplings Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (565 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1306.1
- Calories from Fat 665
- Total Fat 73.9 g
- Saturated Fat 29.0 g
- Cholesterol 224.4 mg
- Sodium 1875.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 89.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 15.8 g
- Protein 68.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: