Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got the original recipe from The American Heart Association recipe collection but I changed it up a little to make it better suited for what I wanted.
- 2 cups uncooked pasta (made with wheat is lower sodium)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced (Portobellos & Shitake)
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup heinz no-salt-added ketchup
- 1 teaspoon sugar or 1 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper or 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1 cup sweet peppers or 1 cup jalapeno pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, omitting salt.
- Drain and set aside.
- Brown ground beef with mushrooms, onion, peppers and garlic.
- Pour off fat.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Add cooked macaroni.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
Easy and delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
This made for a good weekday dinner. Easy to put together and very flavorful for a low sodium recipe. We all liked it and it will be part of the menu!