Recipe by CountryLady
Garlic scapes appear in many Chinese dishes. If you don't grow garlic or can't buy scapes at a country market, substitute with green onions or green beans.
Top Review by ShortieNJ
yummmm. i added a pound of frozen green beans in with the garlic scapes when they were almost cooked through, doubled the sauce (and beef broth). what an easy quick go-to stir fry. thanks
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb grilling top sirloin steak
- 3 cups garlic scapes, 1 inch pieces
- 1 small hot red pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup beef stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk first 6 ingredients together in a bowl.
- Slice beef across the grain into thin strips, add to bowl& toss to coat; let stand for 15 minutes.
- Cook garlic scapes in a pot of boiling salted water until tender-crisp, about 2 minutes; drain& refresh under cold water.
- Drain again, pat dry& set aside.
- Wearing rubber gloves, cut hot pepper in half lengthwise, deseed& finely slice.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a wok or deep skillet over high heat.
- Stir fry beef in batches, using remaining oil as necessary, until browned but still pink inside, about 2 minutes; transfer to a bowl.
- Stir fry hot pepper& salt for 1 minute; return beef, any accumulated juices, scapes& stock to wok and stir fry until hot, about a minute.