Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
Southern French flavors.
- 8 ounces lean ground beef or 8 ounces ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup dried fig, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green olives or 2 tablespoons capers
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Brown beef in pan.
- Add garlic and herbes de Provence, stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add wine, scrap up any browned bit, stir until slightly reduced, about 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, stir together beef broth and cornstarch. Add to pan and increase heat to high, bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Add tomatoes, figs, olives and pepper and return to a simmer.
- Maintain a simmer, stirring occasionally until tomatoes have broken down, about 5 minutes.
- Heat through, about 2 minutes.