Recipe by Leslie in Texas
I've been making this casserole since my boys were young--it's one of their favorites. It's a great budget dish and perfect for when you need your TexMex "fix"! It also freezes well--I usually make it in two smaller casseroles; one for dinner tonight and one to freeze for later!
Top Review by Donna M.
Very good hot dish for a cold winter night. I shredded a couple of small carrots and added them with the onion and garlic (got to sneak some veggies in now and then). I used red beans (personal preference). My pasta was spiral twist macaroni. I like it for casseroles because it captures the sauce and holds it in the grooves. I only cook my pasta half done before adding it to casseroles because I find it gets too mushy after additional baking otherwise. I topped it off with shredded cheddar cheese (didn't have Monterey Jack on hand). This is a great 'throw together' recipe which uses ingredients most people would already have in the pantry and it lends itself well to minor substitutions. Thanks Leslie!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (35 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni, cooked and well drained
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (about 8 oz.)
- jalapeno pepper, slices (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Grease a 3-quart casserole.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef over med-high heat until browned; drain.
- Reduce heat to medium; add onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, chilies, beans, salt, chili powder, cumin and pepper.
- Stir to combine and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Pour into prepared casserole.
- Add macaroni and mix well to combine all.
- Sprinkle with cheese, add jalapeño slices if desired; cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking for 10 minutes.