Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
The homemade salsa makes this dish. I think you could also easily use chicken instead of beef.
Make and share this Beef Fajitas with Avocado and Pea Salsa recipe from Food.com.
- 250 g thick rump steak or 250 g sirloin steaks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground chili
- 3 limes
- 150 g frozen peas
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 ripe but firm avocado, chopped
- 4 ripe vine tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 small red chilies or 2 small green chilies
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 4 soft tortillas
- 1 bunch watercress, to garnish
- tzatziki or Greek yogurt, to garnish
- Lay the steak out on a plate.
- Sprinkle it with salt and pepper and smear half the garlic on both sides of the steak.
- Mix together the cumin, coriander and chilli in a small bowl and spread it evenly over the steak with your fingers.
- Leave the steak for 10-15 minutes, then squeeze one of the limes over the top.
- Put a small pan of water on to boil, then add the peas.
- Boil for a couple minutes, then drain and cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl squeeze the juice of one lime over the avocado.
- Add the onion, remaining garlic, tomatoes and mix.
- Trim and split the chillies, scrape away their seeds (unless you want to keep a few seeds for heat) and dice finely.
- Add those to the avocado salsa, along with the cold peas and fresh coriander, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the steak by heating a griddle pan until very hot.
- Lay the steak in the pan, cook for two minutes, turn and repeat on the other side.
- Continue until cooked as you like it, then let rest for a few minutes before slicing the steak thinly.
- Fan the steak across a platter and edge the plate with watercress and lime wedges.
- Serve with the salsa, tzatziki or yogurt, and the tortillas.
- Let everyone roll their own for messy but fun eating!