Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a wonderful hearty soup. My whole family loves it.
- 907.18 g beef, cut in small cubes
- 29.58 ml safflower oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 29.58 ml fajita seasoning mix (1 pkg)
- 4.92 ml chili powder (or to taste)
- 9.85 ml cumin powder
- 2 (793.78 g) can diced tomatoes (I use fire roasted)
- 425.24 g can black beans
- 425.24 g can pinto beans
- 946.36 ml broth (I use mushroom broth)
- 3 red bell peppers, roasted and diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, fresh and diced (to taste)
- 236.59 ml spinach (I use baby spinach)
- 473.18 ml corn
- 44.37 ml fresh cilantro
- water (as needed)
- Cook onions until light brown.
- Add garlic.
- Add beef and spices. Brown beef.
- Add tomatoes and cook till juice is gone.
- Add broth.
- Cook till beef is almost cooked.
- Add all other ingredients except cilantro. Cook for 15 more minutes or until all vegetables are ready.
- Add cilantro. Cook 5 minutes more.
- You can garnish with avocado, cilantro, pico de gallo, lime juice or Monterey jack cheese. You can even add a little cooked rice.
- Note: You can leave the spinach out but it adds to a more healthy and balanced meal.
I had leftover grilled flat iron steak, so I used this recipe as a base for my soup. Here's what I did. My meat was already cooked, so I browned the pepper (I used Green & red) & onion. I added the garlic (used granuales) I then added the tomatoes, chili powder, & cumin. I left out the fajita seasoning because my meat was already grilled with a smokey grill spice. I added beef broth and I used a frozen corn & black bean fiesta mix. I left out the pintos, spinach, and jalapenos. Everyone loved it.
This is a great soup. wow
I made the recipe with the amounts and ingredients as posted. I only changed the prep method. I browned the beef, onion and garlic until done. Then I added all the other ingredients and put it in my 12 quart Nesco (I doubled the batch) and let it cook for 4 hours. The double batch made at least 10 quarts of soup. It was SOOOOOO GOOD. I will definately make this one again. Thank you for sharing your recipe. I also submitted 2 photo's.