Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A scrumptious Italian beef recipe that's easy and impressive! If your stockpot doesn't close tightly you may have to baste as it bakes.
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground red pepper
- 5 lbs rump roast
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large vidalia onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup strong espresso
- 1 cup dry red wine
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- In a large, lidded, oven-safe stockpot, over low heat, melt the butter. Add the corn oil and stir to mix.
- Add sliced onions, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring to avoid burning as necessary. While onions are cooking, rub the salt and pepper over the roast.
- Remove onions to a bowl. Turn heat to medium, brown roast in the stockpot, turning about every five minutes to brown all sides.
- Add wine, cook for five minutes.
- Stir sugars into coffee, add to stockpot. Return onions to stockpot.
- Cover stockpot, place in oven for 4 hours.
- Let sit for 10-15 minutes before slicing. Serve with the sauce and onions.
It may just be me, but I thought the coffee flavour was too overpowering - you couldn't even taste the red wine !! Maybe I had the coffee too strong, but I wasn't overly impressed with this. The meat was very tasty, though!!