Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Like my Tortilla Soup II recipe but modified for people that like beef instead. Personally, I like the chicken version much better.
- 8 ounces carrots, diced
- 8 ounces celery
- 8 ounces onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 4 (15 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel diced tomatoes
- 1 (1 1/4-1 1/2 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 1 (10 count) package corn tortillas, cut into small pieces
- 12 ounces shredded beef brisket (or shredded grilled beef fajita meat)
- 1 cup milk
- corn tortilla chips, broken into small pieces
- Saute carrots, onions, celery in corn oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper until tender.
- Add beef broth and bring to boil.
- Add tomatoes, Rotel, taco seasoning, and shredded beef.
- Cut tortillas into small pieces and add to broth mixture.
- Let boil for 20 minutes or until tortillas are thoroughly incorporated into soup, stirring occasionally to keep from sticking.
- Reduce heat and simmer for additional 10 minutes.
- Add milk and simmer for additional 10 minutes.
- If thicker soup is desired, add more diced tortillas and let incorporate into soup.
- Garnish with shredded cheese and broken tortilla chips.
- Substitutions: 1 cup Masa Harina (masa flour) for 1 12 ct package of yellow corn tortillas. Gradually add masa flour mixing into broth. If thicker soup is desired, add more masa flour.
- Can also add two seeded/sliced jalapeños and one sprig of fresh cilantro.
I made this with ground beef (cooked it, drained fat and then added back). After I completed the recipe as written, I decided it needed something to be more "enchilada-like" so i added about 8 ounces of sharp cheddar and about 8 ounces or so of velveeta block cheese. I also added a packet of ranch dressing mix. I liked it better this way and my family loved it. This recipe made quite a lot of soup!
I've made this a few times now and its a hit! I skip the celery, reg diced tomatoes and milk. I use ground beef and a little less broth and taco seasoning, perfect size for us. Also if you don't have the corn tortillas it still comes out great.
The soup is delicious!! I made some slight changes due to what is available around here (no Rotel, no diced tomatoes, and no taco seasoning). I used one carrot and grated it - liked the result. No celery. 1 onion. Skipped the salt an pepper. Decided to add about 1/2 tsp. oregano and 1/2 tsp. cumin to replace the taco seasoning. Diced up 4 tomatoes and 1 aji amarillo to replace the canned stuff. Used masa instead of the tortillas (I should have mixed the masa in a little bit of water before adding it b/c it ended up lumpy. Also, used someone else's tip and replaced the milk with plain yogurt. We loved it!! Update: had sour cream and used it to replace milk this time. Also had cooked rice on hand and used it to replace the masa - increased broth (roughly one more can) and cooked a bit longer because of rice. Excellent!