Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, thinly sliced and rings separated
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 16 fluid ounces no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sodium free chili powder
- 2 1⁄2 ounces canned chopped olives
- 4 ounces corn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 6 flour tortillas, cut into 1 1/2 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons chopped green peppers or 2 tablespoons red peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 2⁄3 cup bottled water
- 1 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Brown the beef, drain off any grease.
- Add the chopped onion, seasonings and tomato sauce; simmer for 15 minutes, and then add the olives, corn and cumin.
- In a casserole dish place a small amount of the meat and tomato sauce; add one layer of cut tortilla strips, then another thin layer of meat sauce- repeat layers.
- Add water to the top of the last layer.
- Cover and bake at 400° Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, add grated cheese, sliced onions and green/red pepper to the top.
- Return to oven and bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes more (or you may broil for the final 2 or 3 minutes).
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.