Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Spicy beef empanadas. Something different from the enchiladas and burrito dinners. Easy and Fast!
Make and share this Beef Empanadas recipe from Food.com.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 226.79 g ground beef
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml curry powder
- 2.46 ml chili powder
- 1.23 ml allspice
- 1.23 ml dried thyme
- 0.25 ml ground cinnamon
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 118.29 ml frozen corn, defrosted
- 118.29 ml shredded white cheddar cheese
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter
- 14.79 ml sazon seasoning
- 12 store-bought empanada wrappers (6-inch)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is warm, add the onion and saute until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute 1 minute more. Stir in the beef, cumin, curry, chili powder, allspice, thyme, cinnamon, and salt and pepper, to taste. Saute, stirring often, until the beef has browned, about 10 minutes. Add the corn and the Cheddar and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Melt the butter with the sazon powder small pan over low heat. Stir well to combine and reserve. Working with 1 wrapper at a time, scoop 2 heaping tablespoons of the filling into the center of the wrapper. Brush the edges of the dough with beaten egg, then fold the dough over to form a half moon, pressing out the air with your fingertips. Use the tines of a fork to pinch and seal the edges, creating a border about 1-inch wide. Repeat with remaining filling and wrappers. Transfer the patties to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using a pastry brush, coat the tops of patties with the reserved sazon butter. Bake according to dough package instructions, or until puffed and lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
These were fast and easy and the flavor well suited to the American palette. The filling is well seasoned and not really what I would call "spicy." This version is baked and thus far healthier than the empanadas that are deep fried. Your kids will eat these!