Recipe by quixoposto
I have adapted this from a recipe I found in Gourmet Magazine. You can substitute lean ground beef for cold roast beef. I make smaller empanadas and serve them as finger food at appetizer parties.
- 3⁄4 lb leftover roast beef
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup black olives, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup mild green chili, chopped
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 cups flour, unsifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups shortening
- 12 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- In food processor, chop beef fine.
- Soak raisins in boiling water. Drain and dry.
- Saute onion & garlic in butter.
- Combine beef, raisins, sauteed ingredients, olives, chiles, brown sugar, cilantro, salt, pepper, and egg.
- Combine flour, salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender.
- Sprinkle in cold water and mix lightly with fork. With hands shape dough.
- in ball and divide in half. Roll half dough between 2 sheets of saxed.
- paper to 21 x 11 inches. Peel off top layer of paper. Cut 8 - 5".
- circles. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Spoon 3 tablespoons meat mix into each.
- circle. Moisten edges with water. Fold pastry in half and press edges to.
- firmly seal. Crimp edges or press edges with tines of fork. Prick tops.
- with fork. Brush with beaten egg. Repeat with other half of pastry. Bake.
- 35 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.