Recipe by Porfavorcorona
This is a simple recipe with really great taste. Found this in Woman's Day June 2010. I want to post this in case hubby throws out the magazine. Notes: You could use a pot roast instead of the rump roast. Also next time I might leave the oil out when using a fatty meat cut. I serve this with ciabatta rolls, tomatoes, pepperoncini peppers, provolone cheese and baby arugula.
- 3 lbs bottom round beef roast (trimmed of visible fat) or 3 lbs rump roast (trimmed of visible fat)
- 1 medium vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 (11 ounce) jar pepperoncini peppers, sliced (reserve 1/2 cup juice)
- 1 (2/3 ounce) envelope Italian salad dressing mix (I use Good Seasons)
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beef and onion in a 3 1/2 quart or larger crock pot.
- Mix reserved pepperoncini juice, garlic, dressing mix, oil and water in a small bowl until well blended.
- Pour over beef. (If you have time, cover the crock and place in the fridge to let beef marinate the night before, turning occasionally.).
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on hi for 5 to 6 hours until beef is tender.
- Transfer beef to a cutting board; let rest 15 minutes, then slice thinly.
- Cut rolls lengthwise in half and brush cut sides with some cooking liquid.
- Pour remaining liquid into a serving bowl.
- Layer beef, onions, sliced pepperoncini, tomatoes, arugula and cheese on bottom half of rolls.
- Cover with top.
- Serve with reserved cooking liquid for dipping.