Recipe by Charmie777
------Spicy, fragrant curry tucked inside delicious puff pastry!------
Top Review by NcMysteryShopper
I loved these Curry Pillows! Of all the pillows we ate at our family RSC Pillow tasting "party" this is the one that sticks out the most for me. I know subbing ingredients is a No-No for RSC, but I was forced to use red curry paste as green was unavailable. I found the filling ingredients to be exactly as described: spicy, fragrant and delicious. Oddly enough, this was not a favorite among the guys: who stated that it was "not bad", but was a flavor they were not familiar with. Regardless, this is a winner for me! Good Luck Chef!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 white onion, chopped
- 2 -3 ounces green curry paste (more if you like it hot!)
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 cup white potato, 1/4-inch diced (peel if desired)
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and 1/4-inch diced
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 17 1⁄3 ounces puff pastry sheets (2 sheets)
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 teaspoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the ground beef with the onion. Remove from pan and drain.
- In the same pan heat the curry paste for a couple minutes, stirring frequently. (Be careful not to scorch.).
- Add coconut milk, brown sugar and lime juice to the curry paste and stir with whisk until smooth. You can adjust the amounts of curry, sugar and lime at this point.
- Add potatoes and carrots and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir frequently. Add additional liquid (chicken stock, water, coconut milk)ONLY if necessary. But just a little as you don't want too much liquid when you're finished.
- Stir in the reserved ground beef and onions and the cilantro (if using).
- Place in a bowl and chill for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400º.
- Roll out defrosted puff pastry on lightly floured surface. Work with one sheet at a time, keeping the other sheet in the refrigerator to keep it cold.
- Roll into a 15x15-inch square. Trim and cut to make 9 5x5-inch squares.
- Brush edges of each square with beaten egg mixture.
- Place heaping 1/3 cup of chilled beef mixture in center.
- Bring up each corner to the top center and seal edges. This makes it look sort of like a pinwheel. (If you'd like, you can just fold in half to make triangles.).
- Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining puff pastry.
- Brush pillows with egg wash and bake at 400º for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with additional chopped cilantro sprinkled on top.