Recipe by evelyn/athens
A very easy recipe that tastes great. Serve with steamed rice - the sauce is wonderful!
Top Review by Evie*
This is a delicious beef curry, I used rump steak (so cut down on cooking time) and I didnt need to add any water as it had plenty of 'juice' to cook in without adding it. The addition of the apricot jam gave this curry the right amount of sweet for our tastes.Served with rice and some crusty rolls to mop up the delicious sauce, thanks for posting.
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 (1 lb) can tomatoes, including juice, chopped coarse
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, cook the onion and the garlic in the oil over moderate heat until they are softened.
- Add the beef and cook over moderate-high heat, stirring, until well-browned.
- Add the tomatoes and the spices and simmer the mixture, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Add 1 cup water, salt and the jam and simmer the curry, covered, for 1-2 hours more, or until beef is very tender.