Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe takes a basic economical cut of meat like beef cubes (beef stew) and used to create a very nice meal with portabella mushrooms, vidalia onions, swiss cheese and a creamy sauce. May I suggest serving this recipe with fingerling or hasselback baked potatoes and lima beans… enjoy.
- 1 lb boneless beef cube
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil (or more as needed)
- 1 portabella mushroom (one large or two small ones)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, Vidalia
- 1⁄4 lb swiss cheese
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon margarine (optional butter)
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine, Harveys Bristol Cream (optional)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot chili sauce (Sriracha optional, another brand)
- 1⁄8 cup basil leaves (lightly chopped)
- 1⁄8 cup arugula leaf (lightly chopped)
- Using a meat tenderizer tool, pound the beef cubes into flat pieces, set aside.
- Remove the stem from the Portabella mushrooms and cut into ¼ inch slices, then in half, set aside.
- Cut the vidalia onions into large pieces, set aside.
- Cut the Swiss cheese into thin strips, set aside.
- In a cup melt some margarine or butter (microwave briefly to melt), then add the half & half cream, Harvey’s Bristol Cream, Worchester Sauce, flour, stir to blend and set aside.
- COOKING INSTRUCTIONS:.
- In a cast iron skillet add 1 tablespoon cooking oil, when hot add the mushrooms and stir-fry for 1 minute, then add 1 tablespoon soy sauce, stir-fry for about 1 minutes, the set aside.
- In a skillet add 1 tablespoon cooking oil, when hot add the onions and stir-fry for about 2 minutes, then add 1 tablespoon soy sauce and continue to stir-fry until the onions are somewhat caramelized (about two minutes), set aside.
- In a skillet add 1 tablespoon cooking oil, when hot add the garlic and stir-fry for 15-30 seconds, then add the beef cubes and stir-fry for 1 minutes, then add the cup of margarine and half & half and continue to stir-fry until the sauce coats the meat (about 2 or so minutes), add some hot sauce to taste.
- Next add back into the skillet the mushrooms and onions and stir-fry for 1 more minute.
- Place the Swiss cheese on top, cover the skillet to melt the cheese (1-2 minutes), remove the cover and sprinkle with basil and arugula leaves.
- Plate with two vegetables of your choice and enjoy!