Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis, with some changes. The key is the mayonnaise! Everyone commented on it. Make sure you use WATER PACKED peppers, as the oil-packed will make the mayonnaise runny. We made paninis the next day with the leftover meat, cheese, and mayonnaise.
- 1 baguette, cut into 36 1/2-inch slices
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- garlic salt
- 2⁄3 cup roasted red pepper, in WATER, drained well and patted dry
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 lb deli roast beef, rare and slice thin
- 1⁄2 lb havarti cheese
- fresh ground pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2. Arrange the bread slices on a large baking sheet. Drizzle with 3 tbsp olive oil. Sprinkle garlic salt over all. Bake until pale golden and crisp, about 15 minutes. (You can make these a day ahead of time).
- 3. Blend the bell peppers and mayonnaise in a food processor until smooth and creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
- 4. Spread the bell pepper mayonnaise over the crostini and top with the slice beef. Put a thin slice of cheese on top. Grind pepper on top of all.
- 5. Broil just until cheese is melted.