Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Fast and easy meal with a little extra zing to it.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 teaspoons mccormick hot shot seasoning (OR 1 tsp black pepper and 1 tsp red pepper , cayenne)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 20 ounces rotel diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, with juice
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 14 ounces creamed corn
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C.
- Brown meat with"Hot Shot" seasoning, breaking it apart; drain.
- Add onion, garlic and chili powder; saute until onion is translucent.
- Mix in cornstarch and then add tomatoes; let simmer on low while assembling the cornbread.
- Stir together the flour, cornmeal and baking powder; in a seperate bowl whisk the eggs, milk, oil and corn then stir into flour mix until well blended.
- Stir in cheese.
- Pour meat into a 13x9 inch (3L oblong) casserole dish; spread batter evenly over meat and sprinkle with a bit more cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until bread is done and golden brown.
This recipe has turned out to be a family favorite. I pretty much use as listed in the ingredients for the recipe, but have made changes if I didn't have the right ingredients on hand. It has always turned out great. Thank you!
This recipe is a family favourite for comfort food, and has been for a few years. I don't use the cornstarch in the meat, and usually substitute the flour with cornmeal or cornflour. As other reviewers suggest, ingredients can be added and substituted with ease. Thanks!
My family loved this recipe. Easy to make. The second time I cooked it,I added cooked brocolli to it. It was outstanding. Thanks. eschruff