1 hr 30 mins
"Pink Eyed" Jim Cortina's Note:
Posted in response to a technique request. This creates a crystal clear broth. You can also substitute ground chicken and chicken broth to make a chicken consomme. This recipe is from "On Cooking" by Labensky and Hause. You can add anything you like to it: cooked beef, cooked vegetables, croutons, or use it as a base for soups.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 egg whites
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1Whip egg whites until frothy.
- 2Combine egg whites, beef, mirepoix, and tomatoes in a stockpot.
- 3Add COLD beef broth, mix well.
- 4Put spices, except salt, in cheesecloth, tie to seal, and put in broth.
- 5Add salt to taste to broth.
- 6Bring mixture to a simmer (DO NOT BOIL) you should see a little steam over the surface of the broth, but no bubbling, or as few bubbles rising to the surface as possible.
- 7Stirring occasionally.
- 8The beef and vegetable mixture will eventually harden and rise to the top.
- 9Do not stir after this has happened.
- 10Break a hole in the beef mixture to allow broth to bubble through.
- 11Simmer approximately 90 minutes.
- 12Strain through cheesecloth, degrease.
- 13Adjust seasoning.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Consomme
Serving Size: 1 (7056 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2392.8
- Calories from Fat 974
- Total Fat 108.2 g
- Saturated Fat 37.3 g
- Cholesterol 604.5 mg
- Sodium 12812.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.0 g
- Sugars 37.8 g
- Protein 267.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: