3 hrs 50 mins
A staple in French cooking and time-consuming to make, but well worth every minute! It must be absolutely fat free to become clear. This recipe calls for some cooking experience and a lot of care and patience--please follow the instructions carefully! The list of ingredients states beef round steak, which I couldn't alter...it means simple beef round, or as also listed beef rump.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 cups beef stock (4 quarts)
- 1 large onion, cut into 2 halves horizontally
- 1 very small onion, quartered
- 1 small carrot, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons packed fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh leaf thyme
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 2 whole juniper berries
- 1 1/2 lbs beef round steak or 1 1/2 lbs rump roast, all fat trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 large egg whites
- 1Reduce the beef stock by boiling down to half in a large stockpot over medium heat with semi-open lid.
- 2Set the 2 onion halves on aluminum foil on a hot burner and caramelize the surfaces for approx 10 min minimum.
- 3They need to burn black, while doing so, do not lift off the foil to check. The rim of the onion will turn black and then you can check.
- 4This will not influence the taste of the consommé, but make the color dark brown.
- 5Chop all the vegetables (not the spices!) in the food processor till very coarse.
- 6Add the beef cubes and pulse several more times, but do not puree!
- 7Put the mix into a bowl and add the 3 egg whites. Incorporate the mixture well and add the spices.
- 8Whisk the mix into the warm beef stock reduction and let simmer without boiling.
- 9Carefully stir mixture and scrape the bottom of the pot to prevent burning, until the egg foam starts to rise to the top, about 30 minute.
- 10When the egg foam starts to solidify, make a small hole into the middle with a wooden spoon, this will keep the mass compact and easier to handle later.
- 11Continue to simmer, until the egg foam mixture is solid, about another 30 minutes.
- 12Remove pot from heat.
- 13Skim the egg foam mix carefully off the top with a slotted ladle.*.
- 14Line a sieve with dampened cheeseclothes or a cotton dishtowel and ladle the consommé 1 spoonful after another through the sieve into a big sauce pan.
- 15If for any reason the consommé is NOT clear at this stage, reheat and add 3 more egg whites to the consommé. This should pick up any left over particles in the liquid.
- 16Always move the fluids slowly and carefully.
- 17Repeat the sieving process, if necessary.
- 18Heat consommé gently and season with salt to taste.
- 19The consommé should be of a warm brown color.
- 20Best as a soup in a French gourmet dinner.
- 21* Do not discard the leftover solid foam etc, but let it cool down and let your pooch have a healthy, yet luxurious Sunday treat!
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Consomme
Serving Size: 1 (4297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 254.8
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 63.8 mg
- Sodium 2015.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 31.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole black peppercorns
beef round steak