Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a delicious dinner that is quick to prepare! I adapted this recipe from one I found at recipesworldwide.org. Mainly I omitted the extra salt. It's simple to prepare and the family loves it! Use fresh Chinese chow mein noodles if you can find them. Otherwise, use dried chow mein noodles, Chinese egg noodles, or spaghetti noodles. Vary the vegetables according to what you have on hand or what's in season. Substitute tofu for part (or all) of the beef.
- 2 pinches pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 6 tablespoons mirin or 6 tablespoons sake or 6 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 1⁄3 lbs rump steak, sliced
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 lb fresh Chinese egg noodles or 10 ounces dried noodles
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 large carrot, cut into strips
- 4 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- Mix up all the marinade ingredients.
- Add the meat and toss to coat well.
- Set aside to marinate for a couple of hours.
- Fry the eggs to make thin omelettes the thickness of pancakes. Remove, roll up and slice the egg the thickness of noodles. Set aside.
- Cook the noodles until soft, remove from water and toss in a little oil.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a wok over medium-high heat and fry the noodles until browned in places, but not all over.
- Remove from wok and keep warm.
- Wipe out wok and lower the heat to low.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil, add garlic and fry lightly.
- Raise the heat to medium-high, add the celery and carrot, and stir-fry until crisp-tender. Add the bean sprouts and cook a few minutes longer.
- Add 1 teaspoon of sugar and the ginger and mix.
- Remove from wok.
- Wipe out wok, add 2 teaspoons oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add beef with the marinade and stir-fry to cook, about 5 minutes.
- Add the water and 1/4 cup soy sauce and bring to a boil while stirring.
- Add the cooked vegetables to the wok and combine.
- Pour over the noodles, mix in and garnish with sliced omelette.