1 hr 5 mins
This is a delicious dinner that is quick to prepare! I adapted this recipe from one I found at recipesworldwide.org. Mainly I omitted the extra salt. It's simple to prepare and the family loves it! Use fresh Chinese chow mein noodles if you can find them. Otherwise, use dried chow mein noodles, Chinese egg noodles, or spaghetti noodles. Vary the vegetables according to what you have on hand or what's in season. Substitute tofu for part (or all) of the beef.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 pinches pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 6 tablespoons mirin or 6 tablespoons sake or 6 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 1/3 lbs rump steak, sliced
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 lb fresh Chinese egg noodles or 10 ounces dried noodles
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1Mix up all the marinade ingredients.
- 2Add the meat and toss to coat well.
- 3Set aside to marinate for a couple of hours.
- 4Fry the eggs to make thin omelettes the thickness of pancakes. Remove, roll up and slice the egg the thickness of noodles. Set aside.
- 5Cook the noodles until soft, remove from water and toss in a little oil.
- 6Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a wok over medium-high heat and fry the noodles until browned in places, but not all over.
- 7Remove from wok and keep warm.
- 8Wipe out wok and lower the heat to low.
- 9Heat 1 teaspoon oil, add garlic and fry lightly.
- 10Raise the heat to medium-high, add the celery and carrot, and stir-fry until crisp-tender. Add the bean sprouts and cook a few minutes longer.
- 11Add 1 teaspoon of sugar and the ginger and mix.
- 12Remove from wok.
- 13Wipe out wok, add 2 teaspoons oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- 14Add beef with the marinade and stir-fry to cook, about 5 minutes.
- 15Add the water and 1/4 cup soy sauce and bring to a boil while stirring.
- 16Add the cooked vegetables to the wok and combine.
- 17Pour over the noodles, mix in and garnish with sliced omelette.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Chow Mein
Serving Size: 1 (390 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 785.1
- Calories from Fat 348
- Total Fat 38.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 294.4 mg
- Sodium 1250.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 41.2 g