Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is my mom's chop suey recipe and is one of my favorite meals. Great for a Sunday family dinner.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1 white onion
- 3 stalks celery
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon beaded molasses
- 14 ounces bean sprouts, drained
- 8 ounces water chestnuts, drained
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Heat oil in large pot over high heat.
- Brown beef stew meat mixing in cut up onions and celery.
- Add water, soy sauce and beaded molasses.
- Simmer for 3 hours.
- Add bean sprouts and water chestnuts.
- Mix cornstarch and water and add to chop suey, heat until thickens.
- Serve over rice.
easy to follow, easy to make. of course, i changed several things like: added sliced green peppers, diced carrots and used pounded thin pork instead. also, increased the soy sauce, used the juice from the water chestnuts for flavor, increased the honey and used olive oil instead of vegetable. i didn't simmer as long but should have as the meat would have been more tender. your recipe gave me a base to start with.