Prep 1 hr
Cook 8 hrs
In ‘ Williams-Sonoma: One Pot of the Day’
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck, cut into chunks
- 4 -6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (7 ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo
- In a resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, 1 tsp salt, and ½ tsp pepper.
- Add the beef chunks and shake to coat evenly with the flour mixture; reserve the excess flour mixture.
- In a large frying pan, heat 4 T oil over med-high heat.
- Add half of the beef chunks and cook, turning as needed, until evenly browned on all sides, 10-12 minutes.
- Drain briefly on paper towels and then transfer to a slow cooker.
- Repeat with the remaining beef chunks, adding the remaining 2 T oil if needed.
- Sprinkle the oregano over the beef.
- Return the pan to med-high heat.
- Add the garlic and all but about ½ cup of the onions and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle with the reserved flour mixture and sauté for about 1 minute.
- Pour in the broth and add the chipotle chilies with their sauce, breaking up the chilies coarsely with your fingers.
- Raise the heat to high, bring to a boil, and stir to scrape up any browned bits on the pan bottom.
- Pour the contents of the pan into the slow cooker over the beef.
- Cover and cook on the high setting for 3-4 hours or on low setting for 6-8 hours.
- The beef should be very tender.
- Spoon the chili into bowls, sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup chopped onion, and serve.