I ate a dish similar to this in a resteraunt. I could never find a recipe, so I made up my own. This recipe is almost exact to the one I had in the resteraunt. You can spice it up with peppers, guacomole, or anything else. Any meltable cheese can be used for the sauce. Let me know what you think.
- 1 -2 lb of slow cooked beef, shredded (roast or steak)
- 1 (14 ounce) can Mexican-style diced tomatoes
- 4 -6 large flour tortillas
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- lettuce, shredded
- sour cream
- cook meat till tender, then shred.
- Place meat in a sauce pan and mix in tomatoes.
- Cover and place on low heat.
- Cheese sauce: melt margarine in a sauce pan, add onions and saute till transparent.
- Stir in flour and allow to thicken.
- Slowly add milk.
- Stir in cheese cubes,salt, pepper, and dry mustard.
- Cook over medium heat, constantly stirring until thickened.
- pour in sauce bowl and set aside.
- In a large pan heat oil over med.
- heat till hot.
- wrap some shredded meat mixture in flour tortilla and close securing it with toothpicks.
- fry in oil on both sides till golden brown.
- Place on a plate, top with cheese sauce, shredded lettuce, and a dollop of sour cream.
- repeat till everyone is served.