Recipe by pickypeanut davis
I ate a dish similar to this in a resteraunt. I could never find a recipe, so I made up my own. This recipe is almost exact to the one I had in the resteraunt. You can spice it up with peppers, guacomole, or anything else. Any meltable cheese can be used for the sauce. Let me know what you think.
Top Review by moxiepurple
I used up my leftover taco meat and beans from last night with this and added several jalapenos, these were so good. The cheese sauce was also very tasty, next time I might make it up with shredded cheddar instead of velveeta.
- 1 -2 lb of slow cooked beef, shredded (roast or steak)
- 1 (14 ounce) can Mexican-style diced tomatoes
- 4 -6 large flour tortillas
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- lettuce, shredded
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- cook meat till tender, then shred.
- Place meat in a sauce pan and mix in tomatoes.
- Cover and place on low heat.
- Cheese sauce: melt margarine in a sauce pan, add onions and saute till transparent.
- Stir in flour and allow to thicken.
- Slowly add milk.
- Stir in cheese cubes,salt, pepper, and dry mustard.
- Cook over medium heat, constantly stirring until thickened.
- pour in sauce bowl and set aside.
- In a large pan heat oil over med.
- heat till hot.
- wrap some shredded meat mixture in flour tortilla and close securing it with toothpicks.
- fry in oil on both sides till golden brown.
- Place on a plate, top with cheese sauce, shredded lettuce, and a dollop of sour cream.
- repeat till everyone is served.