Recipe by Silke #2
I found this recipe online, since there was only one beef chimi recipe on the zaar and it didn't look like the one I had in a local diner the other week that turned out amazing. So, this recipe seems much closer to what I ate, so I'm posting it here and I'll try it tonight.
Top Review by Ma Field
These worked well for "Freezer Tag" but if I made them in the future I'd add more spices. Everyone in the family except DD commented that they were a little bland. I brushed these with olive oil and baked them at 400 rather than deep frying (for health reasons). Then I froze a few and reheated them wrapped in foil at 400 for about 15 mintues. You might be able to reheat them in the microwave, but I don't like the texture that tortillas get when microwaved. Thanks for the recipe!
- 6 (12 -14 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red chili sauce or 1⁄2 cup enchilada sauce
- salt and black pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 cups chopped green onions
- chopped tomato (optional)
- guacamole (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wrap stacked tortillas in aluminum foil, and heat in oven 15 minutes or until hot. To microwave, wrap a stack of tortillas lightly in paper towels and warm on high for 6 or 7 seconds per tortilla.
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, brown beef; drain, leaving beef in the pan.
- Add onion, chile or enchilada sauce, salt, and pepper; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until onions are transparent.
- In the center of each warm tortilla, spoon 1/6 of meat filling. Fold tortilla, tucking in the ends to make a secure fat tube, and fasten with wooden toothpicks. NOTE: Assemble only 2 or 3 at a time, as the tortilla will absorb liquid from the sauce.
- In a large pot or deep fryer over medium heat, add at least 4 inches of vegetable oil. Heat oil to 375 - 400°F Fry the chimichangas, 1 or 2 at a time, 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oil, drain and place on serving plates.
- Top with Cheddar cheese, lettuce, green onions, and any optional ingredients that you prefer.