Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Recipe handed down from my mom. This main dish is a family favorite.
- 1 lb ground meat
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans (optional)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 10 flour tortillas
- Heat oil in deep fryer.
- Brown meat and onion. Drain grease. Follow directions on taco seasoning packet to finish making the meat.
- In tortilla: place refried beans (optional), meat, and cheddar cheese. Then fold tortilla burrito style (all four sides are folded to hold contents in tortilla) and hold in place with toothpick.
- Fry until golden brown OR wrap in foil and cook for 15 min in oven (350 F).
- After they cool, you can top them with sour cream, guacamole, etc.
I have made these both baked and fried. I won't lie, they are much better fried. However, in the interest of health I typically will bake them. They still come out crispy, although drier than frying. I have used other recipes, but the nice thing about this recipe is how easy it is to make. There isn't really any measuring and they are difficult to screw up. I highly recommend adding the beans.
We really enjoyed this. I chose the oven method, even though frying them sounded much better. They weren't crispy, but they still tasted great. I made 10 of them thinking I made too much for my husband, my 2.5 year old, and me, but we ate every last one of them. Thanks!