Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This is a Yummy low GI recipe based on a womens weekly recipe.
- 2 teaspoons low-fat margarine
- 1 1⁄2 kg lean chuck, steak cut into 3 cm pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 chilies, seeded and sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced thickly
- 380 g tomatoes, chopped coarsely
- 1 (410 g) can tomato puree
- 180 ml dry red wine
- 125 ml beef stock
- 1 1⁄8 liters water
- 170 g polenta
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese (20g)
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped Italian parsley
- Melt spread in a large saucepan, brown beef in batches.
- Cook garlic, chilli, mustard and onion in the same pan stirring until onion is soft.
- Return beef to the pan with the tomato and cook stirring for approx 2 minutes.
- Add purée, wine,stock and 1/2 cup of the water; bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 1-1/2 hours until beef is tender.
- Stir it occasionally.
- While beef is cooking, bring the remaining litre of water to the boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add polenta and cook over medium heat, stirring all the time for about 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir the cheese into the polenta.
- Stir the parsley into the beef just before serving with the polenta.